DBD::Sybase on freetds on Linux crashes given empty string
Ed Avis
2009-03-26 18:13:14 UTC
I have DBD::Sybase 1.09 and freetds 0.82 on Fedora Linux 10. I find that trying
to execute an empty SQL string crashes, for example

use DBI;
use DBD::Sybase;
my $dbh
= DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:MY_SERVER", 'username', 'password');
$dbh->do('');

produces some output like

*** glibc detected *** perl: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x08f472d8 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x19a3a4]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x96)[0x19c356]
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so
(truncated)

Can anyone else reproduce this? Is the bug likely to be in freetds or in
DBD::Sybase?
Ed Avis <***@waniasset.com>
Michael Peppler
2009-03-26 20:18:10 UTC
Post by Ed Avis
I have DBD::Sybase 1.09 and freetds 0.82 on Fedora Linux 10. I find that trying
to execute an empty SQL string crashes, for example
use DBI;
use DBD::Sybase;
my $dbh
= DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:MY_SERVER", 'username', 'password');
$dbh->do('');
produces some output like
0x08f472d8 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x19a3a4]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x96)[0x19c356]
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so
(truncated)
Can anyone else reproduce this? Is the bug likely to be in freetds or in
DBD::Sybase?
I'll try it tomorrow - but the problem could also be in DBI.

However, from the stack trace this would appear to be in perl itself.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler - Peppler Consulting
SaRL
Sybase on Linux FAQ - http://www.peppler.org/FAQ/linux.html
m***@jpmchase.com
2009-03-27 06:55:58 UTC
Hmmm - I suspect that this is a freetds bug.

Here's what I get with OpenClient (under cygwin:)

$ perl test.pl
DBD::Sybase::db do failed: OpenClient message: LAYER = (1) ORIGIN = (1)
SEVERITY = (1) NUMBER = (136)
Server SYBDEVOL, database
Message String: ct_command(LANG): user api layer: external error: A string
of length 0 is not allowed for parameter buf.

So OpenClient checks this on input (which makes sense)...

Michael

Ed Avis <***@waniasset.com>
Sent by: owner-sybperl-***@peppler.org
03/26/2009 07:13 PM

sybperl-***@peppler.org
cc

Subject
DBD::Sybase on freetds on Linux crashes given empty string

I have DBD::Sybase 1.09 and freetds 0.82 on Fedora Linux 10. I find that
trying
to execute an empty SQL string crashes, for example

use DBI;
use DBD::Sybase;
my $dbh
= DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:MY_SERVER", 'username', 'password');
$dbh->do('');

produces some output like

*** glibc detected *** perl: free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x08f472d8
***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/libc.so.6[0x19a3a4]
/lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x96)[0x19c356]
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE/libperl.so
(truncated)

Can anyone else reproduce this? Is the bug likely to be in freetds or in
DBD::Sybase?
--
Ed Avis <***@waniasset.com>

and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.

disclosures relating to UK legal entities.
Ed Avis
2009-03-27 10:29:16 UTC
Post by m***@jpmchase.com
Hmmm - I suspect that this is a freetds bug.
Is anyone else here using freetds? Could you try $dbh->do('') and see if it crashes?
--
Ed Avis <***@waniasset.com>

Alan Humphrey
2009-03-27 15:46:28 UTC